kidzsearch.com > wiki
Barcelona is the capital city of Catalonia, which is a region of Spain. Barcelona is the largest city on the Mediterranean coast. The city is between the rivers of Llobregat and Besòs, and south of the Pyrenees mountains. It has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate (Csa in the Koeppen climate classification).
In 2007, about 1.6 million people lived in Barcelona. Around 3.1 million people live in the Metropolitan Area and 4.9 million people live in the Urban Region. Barcelona is the second most populated city in Spain, and the tenth in the European Union.
Barcelona is home to football team F.C. Barcelona.
Barcelona is one of the most important tourist destinations in Europe, with millions of people visiting every year. The city is famous for its 19th century modernist architecture. The best known of those buildings was designed by Antoni Gaudi. It is the unfinished church Sagrada Familia, which is the symbol of Barcelona.
It is known for its tapas food, a meze.
- 1987 - Hipercor bombing
- 1992 - 1992 Summer Olympics
- 2004 - Universal Forum of Cultures
- 2017 - 2017 Barcelona attack
Barcelona has sister relationships with many places worldwide:
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Antwerp, Belgium
- Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Busan, South Korea
- Monzón, Spain
- Cologne, Germany
- Dublin, Ireland
- Gaza, Palestinian territories
- Gdańsk, Poland
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Kobe, Japan
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- Montpellier, France
- Perpignan, France
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Tel Aviv, Israel
- Official website of Barcelona
- Barcelona.com The Guide to Barcelona
- Hotel Arts, Barcelona best honeymoon hotel in the world
- "Places to Visit in Barcelona" (in en-US). 2019-11-10. https://arrestedworld.com/best-places-in-barcelona/.