kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Recent optical sightings have found a moon (see below). Using its orbit, Elektra's mass can be found more correctly. The value of 1.3×1019 kg indicates an unusually high density (for asteroids) of 3.8 ± 0.3 g/cm³. Optical sightings have also determined that Elektra's shape is quite non-spherical, as well as giving indications of albedo differences of 5-15% on its surface.
Moon (S/2003 (130) 1)
- D.P. Cruikshank and R.H. Brown (1987). "Organic Matter on Asteroid 130 Elektra". Science 238: 183. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1987Sci...238..183C&db_key=AST&data_type=HTML&format=&high=444b66a47d14088.
- F. Marchis (2006). "Shape, size and multiplicity of main-belt asteroids I. Keck Adaptive Optics survey". Icarus 185 (1): 39–63. . . .
- 130 Elektra and S/2003 (130) 1, orbit data website maintained by F. Marchis. Archived 2010-01-17 at WebCite
- "IAUC 8183". http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iauc/08100/08183.html#Item1.
- Assuming a similar density to the primary.
- Discovery Circumstances: Numbered Minor Planets, Minor Planet Centre Archived 2007-06-21 at WebCite
- ASTORB orbital elements database, Lowell Observatory
- Based in IRAS mean diameter of 182±12 km, a/b ratio of 1.4 as per the following references
- "Supplemental IRAS Minor Planet Survey". http://www.psi.edu/pds/resource/imps.html.
- PDS node spin vector database(in particular, the synthetic compiled value of a/b=1.4). Archived 2010-01-17 at WebCite
- (130) Elektra and S/2003 (130) 1, at Johnston's archive (maintained by W. R. Johnston). Archived 2011-05-26 at WebCite
- 130 Elektra and S/2003 (130) 1, F. Marchis Archived 2010-01-17 at WebCite
- Error estimate derived from consideration of [math]M \propto a^3/P^2[/math] and given errors in a and P. See propagation of uncertainty.
- On the extremities of the long axis.
- F. Marchis (2006). "Shape, size and multiplicity of main-belt asteroids I. Keck Adaptive Optics survey". Icarus 185: 39. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2006Icar..185...39M&db_key=AST&data_type=HTML&format=&high=444b66a47d32271.
- Supplemental IRAS minor planet survey Archived 2010-01-17 at WebCite
- PDS node taxonomy database Archived 2010-01-17 at WebCite
- 130 Elektra and S/2003 (130) 1, orbit data website maintained by F. Marchis. Includes adaptive optics image of primary, and satellite orbit diagram.
- Data on (130) Elektra from Johnston's archive (maintained by W. R. Johnston)