kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||14th century – 15th century – 16th century|
|Decades:||1430s 1440s 1450s – 1460s – 1470s 1480s 1490s|
|Years:||1457 1458 1459 – 1460 – 1461 1462 1463|
- The first Portuguese navigators reach the coast of modern Sierra Leone.
- March 5 – King Christian I of Denmark declares the unity of the two provinces of Schleswig and Holstein, who have been treated as one ever since (although under different national affiliations).
- March 6 – Treaty of Alcacovas – Portugal gives Castile the Canary Islands in exchange for claims in West Africa
- June – The Earl of Warwick and Edward, Earl of March, eldest son of the Duke of York, land in England with an army and seize London.
- July 18 – Battle of Northampton – Warwick and March defeat a Lancastrian army and seize King Henry. It is agreed that York will be Henry's heir, disinheriting the King's son Edward of Westminster, Prince of Wales.
- December 30 – Battle of Wakefield – A Lancastrian army under Henry Beaufort, Duke of Somerset and Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland defeats a Yorkist army under the Duke of York and his son, Edmund, Earl of Rutland. Both York and Rutland are killed, the latter murdered after the battle. York's son Edward becomes leader of the Yorkist faction.