kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1710s 1720s 1730s – 1740s – 1750s 1760s 1770s|
|Years:||1746 1747 1748 – 1749 – 1750 1751 1752|
- While in debtor's prison, John Cleland writes Fanny Hill (Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure). Released from prison, the book was published in London. Immediately, the Church of England asked the British Secretary of State to "stop the progress of this vile Book, which is an open insult upon Religion and good manners." As a result, Cleland was arrested and charged with "corrupting the King's subjects."
- January 3 – Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- April 27 – The first official performance of George Frideric Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks finished early due to the outbreak of fire.
- May 19 – King George II of Great Britain grants the Ohio Company a charter of land around the forks of the Ohio River.
- July 9 – Naval settlement of Halifax, Nova Scotia founded as British answer to Louisbourg.
- September 15 – According to mathematical calculations, Pluto moved outside Neptune's orbit to remain the outermost planet until 1979.
- Tom Jones by Henry Fielding