kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1750s 1760s 1770s – 1780s – 1790s 1800s 1810s|
|Years:||1779 1780 1781 – 1782 – 1783 1784 1785|
- January 7 – The first American commercial bank opens (Bank of North America).
- January 15 – Superintendent of Finance Robert Morris goes before the U.S. Congress to recommend establishment of a national mint and decimal coinage
- February 5 – Spanish defeat British forces and capture Minorca.
- March 8 – In Ohio the Gnadenhutten massacre of Native Americans takes place in which 29 men, 27 women, and 34 children were killed by white militiamen in retaliation for raids carried out by another Native American group.
- April 6 – Rama I succeeded King Taksin of Thailand who was overthrown in an coup d'état.
- April 12 – A British fleet under Admiral Sir George Rodney defeats a French fleet under the Comte de Grasse at the Battle of the Saintes in the West Indies.
- June 18 – In Switzerland, Anna Goldi in sentenced to death for witchcraft – the last legal witchcraft sentence
- August 7 – George Washington orders the creation of the Badge of Military Merit to honor soldiers wounded in battle. It is later renamed to the more poetic "Purple Heart".
- November 30 – American Revolutionary War: In Paris, representatives from the United States and the Kingdom of Great Britain sign preliminary peace articles (later formalized in the Treaty of Paris).
- London creates Foot Patrol for public security
- Jean-Pierre Blanchard and John Jeffries try to cross the English Channel with a hot-air balloon
- British parliament extends James Watt's copyright for the steam engine to the year 1800
- for more information, see Category:1782 births.
- for more information, see Category:1782 deaths.