kidzsearch.com > wiki
90482 Orcus, originally known by the provisional designation 2004 DW) is a Kuiper belt object (KBO) and could be a dwarf planet. It was found by Michael Brown, Chad Trujillo and David Rabinowitz on February 17, 2004. It was also seen in pictures from November 8, 1951.
The satellite was found at 0.25 arcsec from Orcus with magnitude difference of 2.7. Assuming an albedo similar to that of the primary, the magnitude suggests a diameter of about 220 km. It is thought to be a smaller KBO that was captured.
- MPEC 2004-D09 announcing the discovery but attributing it to Raymond J. Bambery, Steven H. Pravdo, Michael D. Hicks, Kenneth J. Lawrence, Daniel MacDonald, Eleanor F. Helin and Robert Thicksten / NEAT
- MPEC 2004-D13 correcting MPEC 2004-D09
- Chad Trujillo's page on 2004 DW
- First BBC article
- First New Scientist article
- Updated orbital elements from Lowell Observatory
- AstDys orbital elements
- Orbital simulation from JPL (Java) / Ephemeris
- Buie, Marc W. (2007-12-22). "Orbit Fit and Astrometric record for 90482". SwRI (Space Science Department). Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~buie/kbo/astrom/90482.html. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- Stansberry, J.; Grundy, W.; Brown, M.; et al. (2007). Physical Properties of Kuiper Belt and Centaur Objects: Constraints from Spitzer Space Telescope. http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0702538v1.
- "Overlooked dwarf planet candidates". BBC. 2008-02-19. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A32537720. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Tegler, Stephen C. (2006-01-26). "Kuiper Belt Object Magnitudes and Surface Colors". Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. http://www.physics.nau.edu/~tegler/research/survey.htm. Retrieved 2006-11-05.
- "HORIZONS Web-Interface". JPL Solar System Dynamics. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi?find_body=1&body_group=sb&sstr=Orcus. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: 90482 Orcus (2004 DW)". 2008-02-10 last obs. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=Orcus. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- (90482) Orcus and Vanth Archived 8 February 2012 at WebCite
- Distant EKO The Kuiper Belt Electronic newsletter, March 2007