kidzsearch.com > wiki
Aurora renews herself every morning at dawn and flies across the sky. She announces the morning's arrival. She has a brother and a sister. Her brother is the sun, and her sister is the moon. She also has many husbands and four sons, one for each cardinal direction: North, East, South, and West.
- But all so soon as the all-cheering sun
- Should in the farthest east begin to draw
- The shady curtains from Aurora's bed,
- Away from the light steals home my heavy son...
In the poem "Tithonus" by Lord Alfred Tennyson, Aurora is described as folllows:
- Once more the old mysterious glimmer steals
- From thy pure brows, and from thy shoulders pure,
- And bosom beating with a heart renewed.
- Thy cheek begins to redden through the gloom,
- Thy sweet eyes brighten slowly close to mine,
- Ere yet they blind the stars, and the wild team
- Which love thee, yearning for thy yoke, arise,
- And shake the darkness from their loosened manes,
- And beat the twilight into flakes of fire.