kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Immortality or eternal life is the idea of something which is alive that will stay alive forever. The opposite of immortality is mortality, which means a living thing can die. Right now, only a small number of living things are known to be immortal. These are mainly simple, lower forms of life like bacteria. Stories about immortal people or animals are popular in fiction and mythology, but not yet actually possible. Many religions say people have an immortal soul with an afterlife.
Insurance actuaries have calculated that even if everyone were physically immortal, the average life span would still be only be 400 years because of the accident rate of about five percent per year;[source?] eventually, everyone would die of a fatal accident and it would be very unusual to encounter anyone more than 800 years old. Therefore, it would seem that the only practical way to achieve actual immortality is to upload one's mind into a supercomputer to live in virtual reality. Futurists such as Ray Kurzweil believe this will become possible about the year 2045 in the technological singularity.
Colors that represent immortality
- Kurzweil, Ray The Singularity is Near 2006
- Immortality: A Taoist perspective
- Dictionary of the history of Ideas: Death and Immortality
- Immortality Institute - Advocacy and Research on Indefinite Lifespan Scientific and sociological discussions, activism, research
- "Inventor Kurzweil Aiming to Live Forever"; RedNova
- The Quest For Immortality
- Immortality International - Life is a basic human right
- Mormon Transhumanist Association
- The Immortality of the Soul and the Resurrection of the Body by Heinrich J. Vogel