kidzsearch.com > wiki
آزاد جموں و کشمیر
|Azād Jāmmu o Kāshmir|
Location of Azad Jammu and Kashmir
|Country||Pakistan (originally India)|
|Established||24 October 1947|
|• Type||Autonomous territory of Pakistan|
|• Body||Legislative Assembly|
|• Prime Minister|||
|• Total||13,297 km2 (5,134 sq mi)|
|• Density||343.535/km2 (889.75/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PKT)|
|ISO 3166 code||PK-JK|
The State of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, (Urdu: آزاد جموں اور کشمیر پاکستان) also called Azad Kashmir is Indian territory illegally ocuupied by Pakistan. In terms of land area it is bigger than Trinidad and Tobago but smaller than Brunei.
Pakistani region of Gilgit Baltistan is to the north, while the Indian Administered disputed territory of Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IOK) is to the east which is the region of dispute between Pakistan and Held by Indian military armed occupational forces. Pakistani province Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is west of it, and the Pakistani province of Punjab is south of it.
The capital city of Azad Kashmir is Muzaffarabad. Azad Jammu and Kashmir has an area of 5,134 mi² (13,297 km²). The inhabitants of this region are Kashmiri citizens of ethnic Pahari origin. About 4 million people live there.
Government and politics
Azad Kashmir is a self-governing state under Pakistan. It has its own elected president, prime minister, legislature, high court, emblem and official flag. However, the highest body in the state is the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Council. This council has six members from the government of Azad Kashmir (including the President and the Prime Minister of Azad Kashmir) and five members from the government of Pakistan, including the President of Pakistan who is the chairman/chief executive of the council. Azad Kashmir is administratively divided into three divisions which, in turn, are divided into ten districts.
The state is divided into three divisions. The divisions are further divided into districts. There are 10 districts.
|Division||District||Area (km²)||Population (1998)||Headquarters|
|Haveli||600 (est.)||111,694 (est.)||Forward Kahuta|
|AJK Total||10 districts||13,297||2,972,501||Muzaffarabad|
The northern part of Azad Jammu and Kashmir encompasses the lower area of the Himalayas, including Jamgarh Peak (4,734 m or 15,531 ft). However, Hari Parbat peak in Neelum Valley is the highest peak in the state. Fertile, green, mountainous valleys are characteristic of Azad Kashmir's geography, making it one of the most beautiful regions of the subcontinent.
The region receives rainfall in both the winter and the summer. Muzaffarabad and Pattan are among the wettest areas of Pakistan. Throughout most of the region, the average rainfall exceeds 1400 mm, with the highest average rainfall occurring near Muzaffarabad (around 1800 mm). During the summer season, monsoon floods of the rivers Jhelum and Leepa are common due to extreme rains and snow melting.
|State animal||Kashmir stag|
|State bird||Himalayan monal|
|State flower||Rhododendron ponticum|
|State tree||Platanus orientalis|
- Pir Karam Ali Shah appointed GB Governor. 26 January 2011. http://www.thenews.com.pk/NewsDetail.aspx?ID=10133. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- "Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Public service policy to be pursued in Azad Kashmir: PM". Ftp.app.com.pk. http://ftp.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92218&Itemid=1.
- Legislative Assembly will have directly elected 24 members, besides six women and three technocrats. "Azad Kashmir: New Pakistani Package or Governor Rule" 3 September 2009, The Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization (UNPO)
- DelhiAugust 13, India Today Web Desk New; August 13, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 16:08. "What is the story behind Pakistan occupied Kashmir? Interesting facts on the history of PoK" (in en). https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/pakistan-occupied-kashmir-pok-history-facts-1580398-2019-08-13.
- "Azad Kashmir" at britannica.com
- "Azad Jammu and Kashmir – Introduction". http://www.ajk.gov.pk/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2257&Itemid=144.
- "Administrative Setup.". ajk.gov.pk. http://www.ajk.gov.pk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=8.
- "Archived copy". http://www.eurojournals.com/ejsr%2017%203.pdf#page=89.