kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Trinidad and Tobago
|Republic of Trinidad and Tobago|
|Motto: "Together we aspire, together we achieve"|
|Anthem: Forged from the Love of Liberty|
|Capital||Port of Spain|
|Ethnic groups||37.5% Africans
40% Indian (South Asian)
20.5% mixed (Venezuelans, Spaniards, French Creoles, Portuguese, Chinese, Britons, Lebanese, Syrians, Caribs)
|-||President||George Maxwell Richards|
|-||Prime Minister||Kamla Persad-Bissessar|
|-||Lower house||House of Representatives|
|-||from the United Kingdom||31 August 1962|
|-||Republic||1 August 1976|
|-||Total||5,131 km2 (171st)
1,981 sq mi
|-||July 2011 estimate||1,227,505 (152nd)|
|GDP (PPP)||2010 estimate|
|GDP (nominal)||2010 estimate|
|HDI (2010)|| 0.736
high · 59th
|Currency||Trinidad and Tobago dollar (
|Drives on the||left|
The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago is a nation in the south Caribbean Sea. It is 11 km (7 miles) away from Venezuela. The country has two bigger islands, Trinidad and Tobago, and many smaller islands. The capital is Port-of-Spain. The country has about 1,262,366 people in it.
Trinidad and Tobago received independence from the United Kingdom on August 31, 1962. Before that, it was ruled by the U.K. Right now, the head of state (person who is in charge of the country) is President George Maxwell Richards. The head of government (person who is in charge of the government) is Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
Trinidad and Tobago is very diverse. It has people of many different races and religions. There are people who are children of Africans, Europeans, Arabs, Indians, and Chinese who moved to the islands a long time ago. The biggest religions in the country are Christianity and Hinduism. There are also Islam and African religions in the country.
The country has some natural gas beneath the ground and underwater in the ocean. Natural gas is a liquid that makes machines work and heats houses. Also, many people called tourists visit the islands. They take pictures and learn about the islands.
The population of Trinidad and Tobago is 1.17 million as of (2002). The ethnic groups of the population are:
- 40.3%: East Indian
- 39.5%: West African descent
- 18.4%: Mixed Race
- 1.2%: Chinese and Other
- 0.6%: Europen descent
- List of rivers of Trinidad and Tobago
- Trinidad and Tobago at the Olympics
- Trinidad and Tobago national football team
- Official Government Website
- Official Tourism Website
- National emblems of Trinidad and Tobago
- Central Statistical Office, Government of Trinidad and Tobago
-  at http://localgov.gov.tt
- "Trinidad and Tobago". International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2010/01/weodata/weorept.aspx?sy=2007&ey=2010&scsm=1&ssd=1&sort=country&ds=.&br=1&c=369&s=NGDPD%2CNGDPDPC%2CPPPGDP%2CPPPPC%2CLP&grp=0&a=&pr.x=79&pr.y=6. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "Human Development Report 2010". United Nations. 2010. http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2010_EN_Table1.pdf. Retrieved 5 November 2010.