kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Battle of Leipzig
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:WPMILHIST Infobox style' not found. The Battle of Leipzig or Battle of the Nations was a battle between Napoleon I and his army and an allied force of several nations. It happened on October 16-19 in 1813. Napoeon’s army had been defeated and depleted in the French invasion of Russia. The French were also losing the Peninsular War and retreating everywhere.
Being outnumbered, he attacked. His allies in the Confederation of the Rhine changed sides, and Napoleon was defeated. It was the one of the largest battles before World War I. It involved about 600,000 soldiers, and the largest cavalry charge ever. It was part of the War of the Sixth Coalition. After this battle, and the later defence of Paris (1814), Napoleon was taken to the island of Elba.
- “Easily ranking as one of the largest battles in History”
- Allied Order-of-Battle at Leipzig: 16-18 October 1813
- French order of battle: II–XI Army Corps
- French order of battle: Cavalry Reserve and the Imperial Guard
- (in German) http://www.voelkerschlacht1813.de/
- (in German) http://www.voelkerschlacht-bei-leipzig.de/
- (in German) http://www.leipzig1813.com