kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Calenzano is a comune (municipality) in the province of Florence in the Italian region Tuscany. It is about 11 km northwest of Florence. Calenano has an area of 76.9 km² and a population of 15,557 inhabitants.
- Villa Ginori a Collina, a patrician villa
- Church of San Niccolò e Oratorio della Compagnia del Santissimo Sacramento, rebuilt before 1386.
- Pieve di San Donato (9th-11th centuries),
- Pieve di Santa Maria (built before the 11th century).
- The ancient Pieve di San Severo.
- Church of Santa Lucia a Settimello.
- Parco del Neto a park near Monte Morello.
Calenzano has a station on the regional railway connecting it to Prato, Florence, Pistoia and Lucca. It can be reached by road from the highway "A1". Buses connect Calenzano to Prato, Florence, Campi Bisenzio and Barberino di Mugello.
Famous people born in Calenzano
- Agostino Ammannati (1906 - 1987), teacher of the liceo classico Cicognini in Prato, friend and helper of the priest Lorenzo Milani.
- Lorenzo Milani, priest, teacher and a man of charity. He was the first to use the motto, "I CARE", when Italy's fascist regime had the motto "I don't care" when speaking about enemies and about poor people. Lorenzo Milani was on the Church of "Saint Donato" since 1947 until 1954.
Main events and festivals
- Fiera dei Cavalli (a festival about horses) (in September)
- Mostra mercato dell'olio nuovo (a festival about extra virgin olive oil) (in November).
- Festa de l'Unità di Legri (in July).
- Festa de l'Unità di Settimello (half September).
- "Carnevale Medievale" (medieval carnival), (end of February).
- "Fiera della Toscana // mostra mercato della Toscana" (in May).
- Official website (Italian)