kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Primary inflows||Jordan River|
|Catchment area||41,650 km2 (16,080 sq mi)|
|Basin countries|| Israel|
|Max. length||50 km (31 mi)|
|Max. width||15 km (9.3 mi)|
|Surface area||605 km2 (234 sq mi)|
|Average depth||200 m (656 ft)|
|Max. depth||306 m (1,004 ft)|
|Water volume||114 km3 (27 cu mi)|
|Shore length1||135 km (84 mi)|
|Surface elevation||−427 m (−1,401 ft)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
The Dead sea is almost nine times as salty as the ocean. That makes it impossible for most life to exist in it. This is the reason for its name. However, it is not completely dead, because some types of bacteria are able to live in the water.
- "Virtual Israel Experience: The Dead Sea". Jewish Virtual Library. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vie/Deadsea.html. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Dead Sea Data Summary 2012.Water Authority of Israel. The World Bank - 'The Red Sea - Dead Sea Water Conveyance Study Program' - 2013.
- "Monitoring of the Dead Sea". Israel Marine Data Center (ISRAMAR). http://isramar.ocean.org.il/DeadSea/.
- http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761556205/Dead_Sea.html Retrieved on 9 October 2007 Archived 1 November 2009 at WebCite
- http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761556205/Dead_Sea.html Archived 1 November 2009 at WebCite