kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Google Chrome OS
|Company / developer||Google Inc.|
|Programmed in||C, C++|
|Working state||Preinstalled on specific hardware (Chromebooks, Chromeboxes)|
|Update method||Rolling release|
|Supported platforms||x86, ARM|
|Kernel type||Monolithic: Linux kernel|
|Default user interface||Graphical interface based on the Google Chrome browser|
|License||Google Chrome OS Terms of Service|
Chrome OS is a project by Google to develop a light computer operating system. It is devoted to using the World Wide Web. The operating system was announced on July 7, 2009, and it is based on Google's Chrome web browser as it visually similar, and the Linux kernel. When first released, it was targeted at netbooks but has also been present on desktop computers (known as "Chromeboxes") and All-In-One PCs (known as "Chromebases"). It was released to technology journalists in December 2010 after being delayed. It runs on systems with either x86 or ARM processors.
Google had stated before release that the Google Chrome OS project will be open source by the end of 2009. Although it is based on the Linux kernel, it will use "a new windowing system" (a way to display applications on a computer screen).
- "Kernel Design: Background, Upgrades". Google. https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/chromium-os-kernel. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Google. "Google Chrome OS Terms of Service". http://www.google.com/intl/en/chromebook/termsofservice.html. Retrieved September 5, 2012.
- Mediati, Nick (2009-07-07). "Google Announces Chrome OS". PC World. Archived from the original on 2010-01-18. https://www.webcitation.org/5msWAbGC8?url=http://www.pcworld.com/article/168028/google_announces_chrome_os.html. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Bobbie Johnson (2009-07-08). "Google targets Microsoft with new operating system". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jul/08/google-chrome-operating-system. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Ahmed, Murad (2009-07-08), Google takes on Microsoft with Chrome operating system, Times Online, http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6665703.ece, retrieved 2009-07-08
- Ali, United States (December 11, 2010). Google is delaying to ship Chrome OS to mid of 2011
- Womack, Brian (2009-07-08). "Google to Challenge Microsoft With Operating System". Bloomberg.com. https://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aTd2k.YdQZ.Y. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Shiels, Maggie (2009-07-08). Google to launch operating system. BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Arrington, Michael (2009-07-08). "Google Chrome: Redefining The Operating System". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2012-04-03. https://www.webcitation.org/66eeGvl8d?url=http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/08/google-chrome-redefining-the-operating-system/. Retrieved 2009-07-08.
- Bradley, Tony (2009-11-20). "Google Chrome: Five Reasons the Google Chrome OS will Flop". PCWorld.com. http://www.pcworld.com/article/182739/Five_Reasons_the_Google_Chrome_OS_will_Flop.html.
- Official announcement
- Google Chrome OS - FAQ
- Google Chrome Blog
- Chrome OS Could Offend the Open Source Community PC World (Friday, July 10, 2009)