kidzsearch.com > wiki
Jeffrey C. Hall
|Jeffrey C. Hall|
Jeffrey C. Hall at Nobel Prize press conference in Stockholm, December 2017
|Born||Jeffrey Connor Hall|
May 3, 1945
New York City, U.S.
University of Maine
|Doctoral advisor||Lawrence Sandler|
|Other academic advisors||Seymour Benzer, Herschel L. Roman|
|Known for||Cloning the period gene|
|Notable awards||Genetics Society of America Medal (2003)|
Gruber Prize in Neuroscience (2009)
Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize (2011)
Gairdner Foundation International Award (2012)
Shaw Prize (2013)
Wiley Prize (2013)
Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (2017)
Hall spent his career testing the neurological component of fly courtship and behavioral rhythms. Through his research on the neurology and behavior of Drosophila melanogaster, Hall uncovered essential mechanisms of biological clocks and shed light on the foundations for sexual differentiation in the nervous system.
Hall was elected to the National Academy of Sciences for his revolutionary work in the field of chronobiology. Along with Michael W. Young and Michael Rosbash, he was awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine "for their discoveries of molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm".
- "American Men and Women of Science: The physical and biological sciences". Bowker. October 2, 1989. https://books.google.ca/books?id=ui8gAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Jeffrey+Connor+Hall%22&dq=%22Jeffrey+Connor+Hall%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwoOL9w9LWAhUJ0oMKHcvcCWYQ6AEIFDAA. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- Jeff Hall – Brandeis Faculty Guide
- Nuzzo, Regina (November 15, 2005). "Profile of Jeffrey C. Hall". PNAS 102: 16547–16549. . . . http://www.pnas.org/content/102/46/16547.full.pdf.
- Cha, Arlene Eujung (October 2, 2017). "Nobel in physiology, medicine awarded to three Americans for discovery of ‘clock genes’". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/10/02/nobel-prize-in-medicine-or-physiology-awarded-to-tktk/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_nobel-550am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "The 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine – Press Release". The Nobel Foundation. October 2, 2017. https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2017/press.html. Retrieved October 2, 2017.