kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Related names||Giuseppe, Yosef|
Joseph is a name from Hebrew language, written as יוֹסֵף. This is pronounced in standard Hebrew as Yosef, and in Tiberian Hebrew and Aramaic as Yôsēp̄. In Arabic the name is spelled يوسف or Yūsuf. The name can be translated from Hebrew as "the lord will increase." The name Joseph is used mostly in English and French-speaking countries. Some shortened versions and nicknames of Joseph include Joe, Joey and Jo. From 1925 to 1972 it was one of the top ten boys' names in the United States.
People known as Joseph
- Joseph I, Holy Roman Emperor
- Joseph II of Austria
- Franz Joseph I of Austria
- Joseph I of Portugal, King of Portugal
- Joseph, Prince of Brazil
- Joseph, General Inquisitor (1720–1801) – a natural son of King John V of Portugal, one of the Children of Palhavã.
- Joseph Bonaparte, King of Spain, King of Naples
- Maximilian III Joseph, Elector of Bavaria
- Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria, King of Bavaria
- Saint Joseph, husband of Mary the mother of Jesus (according to Christian doctrine)
- Joseph, Old Testament Biblical figure in the book of Genesis
- Joseph of Arimathea, secretive disciple of Jesus