kidzsearch.com > wiki
In politics, left-wing means an attitude that sees social equality as very important.
What a person means by left-wing depends on where the person lives.
- Especially in the USA and Canada it is linked to Social liberalism (as opposed to Classical liberalism) and Social democracy
- Especially in Western Europe, left-wing means democratic socialism and the Welfare state.
- In Eastern Europe and in Asia, South America, and Africa it is associated with Marxist-Leninism and/or Maoism, and Anti-Colonialism and land redistribution.
Those people in Western Europe who believe in Marxism-Leninism are often called the "Far-Left".
- Encyclopedia of the American Left, ed. by Mari Jo Buhle, Paul Buhle, Dan Georgakas, Second Edition, Oxford University Press 1998, ISBN 0-19-512088-4
- Lin Chun, The British New Left, Edinburgh : Edinburgh Univ. Press, 1993
- Geoff Eley, Forging Democracy: The History of the Left in Europe, 1850-2000, Oxford University Press 2002, ISBN 0-19-504479-7
- Marxism on Terrorism by John Molyneux
- Terrorism and Communism by Karl Kautsky
- Leftism in India