kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Madonna performing during the MDNA Tour on August 2012
|Birth name||Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone|
August 16, 1958|
Bay City, Michigan, U.S.
|Origin||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop, rock, dance, electronic|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, record producer, author, director, philantrophist|
|Years active||1982 – present|
Warner Music Group
Madonna Louise Ciccone (born August 16, 1958) is an American singer-songrwriter, actress, author, director and philantrophist. Madonna was born in Bay City, Michigan, but she moved to New York City in 1977 to pursue a career in modern dance.
During her career she has sold over 300 million records worldwide and she is the top selling female artist of all time and some of the more famous albums are Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer, and Ray of Light. She has won seven Grammy awards. Madonna is considered the Queen of Pop. Madonna has been in many movies, she received positive reviews for her role in Desperately Seeking Susan (1985). Her later movies received mixed reviews. She received critical acclaim and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for Evita (1996). She got harsh feedback for other performances.
After the release of some dance hits she released her first album "Madonna" in 1983. The album was a great success. Her next album "Like a Virgin" (1984) sold over 6 million copies in the United States only and overall 10 million copies worldwide. Her album "True Blue" has sold 25 million copies. Her album "Like a Prayer" caused controversy, as it had to do with Christianity but the album sold over 15 million records worldwide. During the 1980's Madonna was a huge fashion icon and was an idol for millions of girls and boys. Songs like "Like a Virgin", "Material Girl", "Into the Groove", "Papa Don't Preach", "Holiday", "Lucky Star", "La Isla Bonita" and "Like a Prayer" are believed to be classics.
In 1990 she released her best selling greatest-hits album "The Immaculate Collection" which sold over 30 million copies, and this made "The Immaculate Collection" become the most sold greatest-hits album in the music history. In 1994 her album "Bedtime Stories" has sold 7 million copies. She also performed in the movie "Evita" which was very successful and released a soundtrack album of the same name she also received the Golden Globe for Best Actress. Her 1997 album "Ray of Light" is considered to be a masterpiece and sold over 18 million copies worldwide.
In 2000 her album "Music" sold over 15 million copies worldwide, helped by the global hit of the same name. She also released a successful Greatest hits album. Madonna acted in a film called Swept Away. It got bad reviews. On October 22 2002 "Die Another Day" was released. The music video for the single was the second most expensive music video ever to make. The single reached number one in several countries. Her 2003 album called "American Life" reached #1 in many countries but it was criticised by some, as it was against war in Iraq and sold 5 million copies. In 2005 her album "Confessions on a Dance Floor", helped by "Hung Up" and "Sorry" that reached #1 in 45 countries, sold 12 million copies. In 2008 she released her album "Hard Candy" which reached #1 in almost every country in the world and has sold over 4 million copies worlwide. The first single from the album, "4 Minutes", had Justin Timberlake singing in it.
In 2011 W.E., the second movie directed by Madonna, was released. It got bad reviews. In 2012 Madonna released her twelfth album, MDNA. Nicki Minaj sung on "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and "I Don't Give A".
Her tours during the 80's ("Who's That Girl Tour", "Blond Ambition Tour", etc.) were very successful. Her 1993 "The Girle Show Tour" was very controversial, (some thought of it as bad), but was a great success. the "Drowned World Tour" and the "Re-Invention Tour" were the most successful tours of their years. "The Confessions Tour" was very successful and the "Sticky & Sweet Tour", with over 408 million dollars earned, became the most successful tour of all time for a solo artist.
- The Virgin Tour (1985) (US only): the tour grossed $33 million.
- Who's That Girl World Tour (1987): the tour grossed $25 million.
- Blond Ambition Tour (1990): the tour grossed $60 million.
- The Girlie Show World Tour (1993): the tour grossed $70 million.
- Drowned World Tour (2001): the tour grossed $75 million.
- Re-Invention World Tour (2004): the tour grossed $125 million.
- Confessions Tour (2006): the tour grossed $194 million.
- Sticky & Sweet Tour (2008-2009): the tour grossed $408 million.
- MDNA Tour (2012): the tour grossed $302 million.
- Madonna (1983): 10 million copies sold.
- Like a Virgin (1984): 21 million copies sold.
- True Blue (1986): 25 million copies sold.
- Like a Prayer (1989): 15 million copies sold.
- Bedtime Stories (1994): 7 million copies sold.
- Ray of Light (1998): 18 million copies sold.
- Music (2000): 15 million copies sold.
- American Life (2003): 4 million copies sold.
- Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005): 12 million copies sold.
- Hard Candy (2008): 4 million copies sold.
- MDNA (2012): 2 million copies sold.
Both Madonna's marriages ended in divorce. She was married to Sean Penn from 1985-1989 and to Guy Ritchie from 2000-2008. She has a daughter Lourdes and son Rocco. She adopted a Malawian child, David Banda, and a girl, Mercy.
- Ebert, Roger. "Desperately Seeking Susan". Chicago Sun-Times. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19850329/REVIEWS/503290301. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Madonna – Charts & Awards – Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/madonna-p64565/charts-awards/billboard-albums. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- "Madonna – Charts & Awards – Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/madonna-p64565/charts-awards/billboard-singles. Retrieved 2010-02-24.