kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
U.S. Census Bureau map showing city limits
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||9.27 sq mi (24.02 km2)|
|• Land||8.44 sq mi (21.87 km2)|
|• Water||0.83 sq mi (2.15 km2)|
|Elevation||3 ft (1 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,055.44/sq mi (407.50/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0286401|
Marathon is a city of Florida in the United States. It is on Knight's Key, Boot Key, Key Vaca, Fat Deer Key, Long Point Key, Crawl Key and Grassy Key islands in the middle Florida Keys, in Monroe County. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 10,255. As of 2005, the population estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau is 10,626.
The name "Marathon" started with the building of the Florida East Coast Railroad. The railroad workers were working night and day to complete the railway. Many of the workers complained that "this [the project] is getting to be a real Marathon". Later, the railroad named the closest station along the railroad "Marathon".
The city has a total area of 9.6 square miles (25 km2), of which 8.6 square miles (22 km2) is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) (10.37%) is water. The city limits extend 1200 feet from land into the adjacent waters.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. https://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/2016_Gazetteer/2016_gaz_place_12.txt. Retrieved Jul 7, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "History Of Marathon". http://www.keyshistory.org/marathon.html.
- "City of Marathon Charter". http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/index.asp?NID=111.
- "City of Marathon - Boot Key Harbor City Marina". http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/index.asp?NID=26.