kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Other names|| |
|Molar mass||16.04 g mol-1|
-182 °C, 90.7 K, -296 °F
-162 °C, 111.65 K, -259 °F
|Solubility in water||22.7 mg·L−1|
|Solubility||Soluble in ethanol, diethyl ether, benzene, toluene, methanol, acetone and insoluble in water|
|Dipole moment||0 D|
| Std enthalpy of
| Std enthalpy of
|−891.1 to −890.3 kJ·mol−1|
| Standard molar
|Specific heat capacity, C||35.69 J·(K·mol)−1|
|Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)|
Methane is an organic compound with the chemical formula CH4. It is an alkane with one carbon atom. It is often found as the main part of natural gas. Methane is a greenhouse gas 23 times more effective than carbon dioxide. It is also less stable and slowly oxidates by oxygen to carbon dioxide and water.
Methane can be made by many chemical ways, but usually is found in natural gas and is obtained by fractional distillation, after it has become liquid.
- "Front Matter". Nomenclature of Organic Chemistry : IUPAC Recommendations and Preferred Names 2013 (Blue Book). Cambridge: The Royal Society of Chemistry. 2014. pp. 3–4. . . "Methane is a retained name (see P-12.3) that is preferred to the systematic name ‘carbane’, a name never recommended to replace methane, but used to derive the names ‘carbene’ and ‘carbyne’ for the radicals H2C2• and HC3•, respectively."
- "Gas Encyclopedia". http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/Encyclopedia.asp?GasID=41. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- NOAA Office of Response and Restoration, US GOV. "METHANE". http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/8823.
- White House Unveils Plans to Cut Methane Emissions March 28, 2014 New York Times
- Brad Plumer (December 12, 2016). "Methane levels in the atmosphere are now rising at their fastest pace in decades; It’s a big problem for climate change.". Vox.com. https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/12/12/13915950/methane-atmosphere-rise-agriculture. Retrieved 18 December 2016.