kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Miami-Dade County, Florida
|Miami-Dade County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 18, 1836|
2,431 sq mi (6,296 km²)
1,946 sq mi (5,040 km²)
485 sq mi (1,256 km²), 19.96%
1,158/sq mi (447/km²)
|Named for: Major Francis L. Dade|
Miami-Dade County (formerly known as Dade County and many times referred to as simply Miami or Dade) is a county in the southeastern part of the state of Florida. The United States Census Bureau estimates that in 2006, about 2,402,208 people lived in the county. That is more than any other county in Florida. Among all United States counties, it is in eighth place. The county seat is the city of Miami.
County departments and agencies
- Miami-Dade Public Library System
- Miami-Dade Police Department
- Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Miami-Dade Aviation Department Miami International Airport
- Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department
- Miami-Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS) is the 4th largest school district in the United States. The Miami-Dade School Board is a nine-member publicly elected body responsible for overseeing the administration of the (MDCPS).
- South Florida Water Management District
- Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts
- Miami-Dade Public Defender, 11th Judicial Circuit
- Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office, 11th Judicial Circuit
- Circuit and County Court, 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida