kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Native to||Mongolia, China, People's Republic of, Kyrgyzstan, Russia|
|Region||All of Mongolia, Buryatia in Russia, Issyk-Kul in Kyrgyzstan, and Inner Mongolia, Liaoning, Jilin, and Heilongjiang provinces in China|
|Native speakers||5.7 million (date missing)|
The Mongolian language ( , Mongɣol kele, Cyrillic: Монгол хэл, Mongol khel) is the best-known member of the Mongolic language family and the language of most of the residents of Mongolia, where it is officially written with the Cyrillic alphabet and of around three million Mongolian speakers in the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region of China, where it is officially written with the traditional Mongolian script. It is also spoken in some areas in the Russian Far East and Kyrgyzstan. The majority of speakers in Mongolia speak the Khalkha (or Halh) dialect, while those in China speak one of many Inner Mongolian dialects.
- Janhunen, Juha (ed.) (2003): The Mongolic languages. London: Routledge.
|This language has its own Wikipedia project. See the Mongolian language edition.|
- Ethnologue report for Khalkha Mongolian
- Lingua Mongolia Information on classical Mongolian, including an online dictionary
- Omniglot - Mongolian Alphabets
- Mongolian bilingual dictionaries