kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Mount Whitney, Tumanguya|
|Elevation||14,505 ft (4,421 m)NAVD 88|
|Prominence||10,080 ft (3,072 m)|
|Parent peak||El Pico de Orizaba|
|Listing||Ultra prominent peak|
U.S. state high point
SPS Emblem peak
|Location in California, USA|
|Location||Sequoia National Park / Inyo National Forest, California, USA|
|Topo map||USGS Mount Whitney|
|Age of rock||Cretaceous|
|First ascent||August 18, 1873 by Charles Begole, Albert Johnson, and John Lucas |
|Easiest route||Mount Whitney Trail (hike)|
Mount Whitney or Tumanguya is a mountain in eastern California. The mountain is about 14,505 feet (4,421 m). This makes Mount Whitney the tallest mountain in the contiguous United States. Mount Whitney is only 76 miles from Badwater in Death Valley National Park, which is the lowest point in the United States. Mount Whitney is in the Sierra Nevada. Mount Whitney was named by the California Geological Survey in 1864, they named it after Josiah Whitney.
- "Whitney". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=GT1811.
- "Mount Whitney, California". Peakbagger.com. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2829.
- "Mount Whitney". ListsOfJohn.com. http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=16669. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Sierra Peaks Section List". Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club
- Farquhar, Francis P. (1926). Place Names of the High Sierra. San Francisco: Sierra Club. http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/place_names_of_the_high_sierra/w.html. Retrieved 2007-08-12.