kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
The Munich massacre was an attack that happened on 5-6 September during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. 11 members of the Israel Olympic team were murdered after being taken hostage. A German police officer was also killed.
The terrorists demanded the Israeli government to release 234 prisoners held in Israeli jails. Of the eight attackers, five were killed by the police and three were arrested. The three were released from jail.
- Breznican, Anthony (22 December 2005). "Messages from 'Munich'". USAToday (Gannett Co.). https://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-12-21-munich_x.htm. Retrieved 17 April 2009.
- Karon, Tony (12 September 2000). "Revisiting the Olympics' Darkest Day". Time. http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,54669,00.html. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- The Israeli Response to the 1972 Munich Massacre – Includes an extensive overview of the Munich massacre
- A Tribute to the 1972 Israeli Olympic Athletes – Includes biographies and photographs for each of the 11 Israeli athletes killed
- Time Magazine, 4 December 2005
- Special Publication of Israel State Archives: The Fortieth Anniversary of the Massacre of the Israeli Athletes in Munich