kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Nîmes is a city in the south of France and is in the Languedoc-Roussillon region. It is the prefecture of the Gard department. Its population is around 133,000 (1999). Nîmes dates back to the Roman Empire.
Nîmes was an important Roman town. Many sites have been discovered, including:
- The temple of Diane
- The Maison Carrée
- The Nîmes amphitheatre, the best-preserved in France.
The town was supplied with water by the Pont du Gard.
Nîmes is twinned with:
- Preston, United Kingdom, since 1955.
- Verona, Italy, since 1960.
- Braunschweig, Germany, since 1962.
- Prague, Czech Republic, since 1967.
- Frankfurt an der Oder, Germany, since 1976.
- Salamanca, Spain, since 1979.
- Rishon LeZion, Israel, since 1986.
- Meknes, Morocco, since 2005.