kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Narcissistic personality disorder
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which the person is obsessed with (spends a lot of time thinking about) themselves. They think they're better and more important than anyone else, and want to be treated as special. It is more common in men than women.
In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, NPD is defined as "habitual grandiosity (showing off), need for admiration and lack of empathy". The way of thinking and behavior must have begun by early adulthood and be present in a many situations. At least five of these nine traits must be present:
- Very high self-importance (boasting and expects to be seen as superior).
- Often imagines being extremely successful, powerful, brilliant, beautiful or in love.
- Believes they are special and unique. Thinks they should only be around other high-status people and institutions.
- Needs to be admired often.
- Thinks they should be treated better than other people or others should do what they want.
- Exploits people.
- Does not have empathy.
- Is envious of other people or thinks they are envious of him/her.
- Is arrogant.