kidzsearch.com > wiki
|• Mayor||Gary Fuller|
|• Total||53.5 sq mi (138.4 km2)|
|• Land||52.8 sq mi (136.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|Elevation||807 ft (246 m)|
|• Density||439.2/sq mi (169.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0152814|
Opelika is a city in and the county seat of Lee County in the east central part of the U.S. state of Alabama. It is a principal city, along with Auburn, in the Auburn-Opelika, Alabama Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). According to 2005 Census estimates, the population of Opelika is 23,804.
Notable people from Opelika
- George Bandy - State Representative from 1994 to 2018
- Joe Beckwith - former Major League baseball pitcher with the 1985 World Series champion Kansas City Royals
- Brad Cotter - country music singer
- William Dickinson - U.S. Congressman from 1965 to 1993
- Billy Hitchcock - former Atlanta Braves manager
- Robert L. Howard - soldier of the U.S. Army
- Roy Lee Jackson - former Major League baseball player
- Rob Penny - playwright
- Lee W. Smith - diplomat, U.S. State Department
- James Voss - NASA astronaut
Robert L. Howard Medal of Honor recipient of the Vietnam War.
- "Annual Estimates of the Population for All Incorporated Places in Alabama" (CSV). 2000 to 2005 population estimates. U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. June 21 2006. https://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2005-04-01.csv. Retrieved November 9, 2006.