kidzsearch.com > wiki
P. G. T. Beauregard
|P. G. T. Beauregard|
General Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard (1860s)
|Birth name||Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard|
|Nickname||The Little Creole, The Little Napoleon, Bory, Felix, The Hero of Fort Sumter|
|Born||May 28, 1818|
St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana, U.S.
|Died||February 20, 1893 (aged 74)|
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Place of burial||Tomb of the Army of Tennessee, Metairie Cemetery, New Orleans, U.S.|
|Allegiance|| United States of America|
Confederate States of America
|Service/branch|| United States Army|
Confederate States of America Army
|Years of service||1838-61 (USA)|
|Rank|| Brevet Major (USA)|
|Commands held||Confederate Army of the Potomac|
Army of Mississippi
|Other work||Author, civil servant, politician, and inventor|
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard (May 28, 1818 – February 20, 1893) was an American military officer, politician, inventor, writer, civil servant. He was the first prominent general of the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. Today, he is known as P. G. T. Beauregard, but he rarely used his first name as an adult.
After the South seceded, he resigned from the US Army and became the first Confederate brigadier general. He commanded the defenses of Charleston, South Carolina, at the start of the Civil War at Fort Sumter on April 12, 1861. Three months later he won the First Battle of Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia.
Beauregard was married to Marie Antoinette Laure Villeré from 1841 until her death in 1850 after giving birth to their third child. They had three children, René, Henri, and Laure. Then he was married to Caroline Deslonde from 1860 until her death in 1894. They had no children.
- Conrad, Glenn R. "Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard." In A Dictionary of Louisiana Biography, vol. 1, edited by Glenn R. Conrad. New Orleans: Louisiana Historical Association, 1988. ISBN 978-0-940984-37-0.
- Robertson, William Glenn. Backdoor to Richmond: The Bermuda Hundred Campaign, April–June 1864. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1987. ISBN 0-8071-1672-6.
- Roman, Alfred. The Military Operations of General Beauregard in the War between the States, 1861 to 1865: Including a Brief Personal Sketch and a Narrative of his Services in the War with Mexico, 1846-8. New York, Da Capo Press, 1994. ISBN 978-0-306-80546-2. First published 1884 by Harper & Brothers.
- Winters, John D. The Civil War in Louisiana. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1963. ISBN 0-8071-0834-0.
- "P. G. T. Beauregard". Civil War.org. http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/biographies/p-g-t-beauregard.html. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- Detzer, Allegiance, pp. 272–301; Williams, pp. 57–61; "Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard". Biography. Civil War Home. http://www.civilwarhome.com/beaubio.htm. Retrieved 18 May 2011.
- P. G. T. Beauregard biography and timeline Archived 2006-02-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Several Letters of P. G. T. Beauregard
- The Citadel Archives, Beauregard, Pierre Gustave Toutant, 1818-1893