kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Benedict XIII
|Papacy began||29 May 1724|
|Papacy ended||21 February 1730|
|Predecessor||Pope Innocent XIII|
|Successor||Pope Clement XII|
|Birth name||Pietro Francesco Orsini|
2 February 1649 |
Gravina in Puglia
21 February 1730 (aged 81) |
Pope Benedict XIII (Latin: Benedict Tertius Decimus; 2 February 1649 – 21 February 1730), born Pietro Francesco Orsini, later Friar Vincenzo Maria Orsini, O.P., was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 246th Pope from 1724 until his death in 1730. He was the third and last member of the Orsini family to be a pope.
Pope Benedict was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
In 1727, he ordered construction of the famous Spanish Steps in Rome.
After his death
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-7.
- "Pope Benedict XI," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-7.
- "Benedict XI", Encyclopedia Britannica (1910), Vol. 3, p. 718.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Benedict IX," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 4, p. 215.
- Note on ordinal numbering: Popes Benedict XI–XVI are really the 10th–15th popes with that name. This is because Benedict X is now parsed as an antipope; but during the reign of Benedict XI, this was not recognized. The "true" or actual twelfth pope Benedict identified himself with the ordinal number XIII. In other words, the numbering of popes after the 10th Benedict needs to be explained -- compare Popes Boniface VIII–IX.
- "Benedict X", Encyclopedia Americana (1918), p. 504.
| Succeeded by|