kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Innocent XII
|Papacy began||12 July 1691|
|Papacy ended||27 September 1700|
|Predecessor||Pope Alexander VIII|
|Successor||Pope Clement XI|
|Birth name||Antonio Pignatelli|
|Born||March 13, 1615|
|Died||September 27, 1700 (aged 85)|
|Other Popes named Innocent|
Pope Innocent XII (Latin: Innocentius DuodecimusLua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.; 13 March 1615 – 27 September 1700), born Antonio Pignatelli, was an Italian cleric of the Roman Catholic Church and the 243rd Pope from 1691 to 1700.
Cardinal Pignatelli was elected pope on 12 July 1691; and he chose to be called Innocent XII.
Pope Innocent was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
In the Papal States, Innocent invested in public works. For example, he caused the harbor of Porto d'Anzo to be constructed on the ruins of Antium. Also, he constructed the aqueduct of Civitavecchia.
After his death
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-12-2.
- "Pope Innocent XII", Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-12-2.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1910). The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. Encyclopedia Britannica Company. p. 583. https://books.google.com/?id=IjeU7x0kXhMC&pg=PA5839.
- The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1838. p. 481. https://books.google.com/?id=ryby2RTDEQAC&pg=PA481.
- "Pope Innocent XII". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Innocent XII
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Pignatellit
| Succeeded by|