kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Paul IV
|Papacy began||23 May 1555|
|Papacy ended||18 August 1559|
|Predecessor||Pope Clement VII|
|Successor||Pope Julius III|
|Birth name||Giovanni Pietro Carafa|
28 June 1476 |
Capriglia Irpina, Kingdom of Naples
18 August 1559 |
Rome, Papal States
Pope Paul IV (Latin: Paulus Quartus; 28 June 1476 – 18 August 1559), born Giovanni Pietro Carafa, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 221st Pope from 23 May 1555 until his death.
Cardinal Carafa was elected popein 1555; and he chose to be called Paul IV.
Pope Paul was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
Pope Paul IV quarrelled with Philip II. of Spain, who sent the Duke of Alba with an army from Naples to invade the Papal States. At the gates of Rome, a peace was concluded in 1557.
After his death
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- Pope Paul IV," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Paul IV," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), p. 956.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Paul IV," Penny cyclopaedia, Vols. 17-18, p. 323.
- Gallenga, Antonio Carlo Napoleone. (1841). Italy: General Views of Its History and Literature in Reference to Its Present State, Vol. II, p. 99.