kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Pope Pius III
|Papacy began||22 September 1503|
|Papacy ended||18 October 1503|
|Predecessor||Pope Alexander VI|
|Successor||Pope Julius II|
|Birth name||Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini|
|Born||May 29, 1439|
|Died||October 18, 1503(aged 64)|
Pope Pius III (Latin: Pius Tertius; 29 May 1439 – 18 October 1503), born Franchesco Todeschini and also known as Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 216th Pope from 22 September to 18 October 1503.
Francesco Todeschini was born in Siena. He was the nephew of Aeneas Silvius Piccolomini, who would become Pope Pius II. He was allowed by uncle to take his mother's maiden name of Piccolomini. His studies in law at the University of Perugia led to a doctorate degree.
Cardinal Piccolomini was elected pope on September 22, 1503, His choice of name honors his uncle Pius II.
This pope's reign lasted less than a month.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius III," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Library of Congress Authority File, Pius III, Pope, ca. 1440-1503; retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Pius III," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), Vols. 21-22, p. 684.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Pius III," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, p. 198.
- Note that Pius II and his nephew Pius III share the same coat-of-arms
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius III
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Piccolomini
- "The Piccolomini Library"
| Succeeded by|