kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Pope Sixtus V
|Papacy began||24 April 1585|
|Papacy ended||27 August 1590|
|Predecessor||Pope Gregory XIII|
|Successor||Pope Urban VII|
|Birth name||Felice Peretti di Montalto|
|Born||13 December 1520|
Grottammare, Papal States
|Died||27 August 1590 (aged 69)|
|Other Popes named Sixtus|
Pope Sixtus V (Latin: Sixtus Quintus; 13 December 1520 – 27 August 1590), born Felice Peretti di Montalto, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 228th Pope from 1585 to 1590.
After the election of Gregory XIII, Peretti withdrew from public activities.
Cardinal di Montalto was elected pope in 1585; and he chose the name Sixtus V.
A building for the Vatican Library was constructed.
The investment in public works included the loggia of Sixtus in the Basilica of St. John Lateran; the chapel of the Praesepe in Santa Maria Maggiore; additions and repairs to the Quirinal Palace, Lateran Palace and Vatican Palace; the erection of four obelisks (including the one in the Piazza of St Peter's; the opening of six streets; and the restoration of the aqueduct of Severus (Acqua Felice).
- Note that the first three popes are called "Xystus" in ancient records. Sixtus or Xystus was a Roman name which was Latinized from the Greek name "Ξυστος." This name means "polished." This name is not to be confused with the common Roman name "Sextus" which means "sixth".
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-9.
- "Pope Sixtus V," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-9.
- Chisholm, Hugh (1911). The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information. Encyclopædia Britannica Company. p. 164. https://books.google.com/?id=j0QOAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA164.
- The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1842. p. 72. https://books.google.com/?id=rJhOFg1yiqUC&pg=PA72.
- Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. C. Knight. 1838. p. 69. https://books.google.com/?id=7KsrAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA69.
- "Pope Sixtus V". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- Catholic Hierarchy, Sixtus V
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Peretti Montalto
| Succeeded by|