kidzsearch.com > wiki
President of South Korea
|President of the|
Republic of Korea
|Style||Mr. President (대통령님)|
His Excellency (대통령 각하)
|Member of||State Council|
National Security Council
National Unification Advisory Council
|Seat||Seoul, South Korea|
|Appointer||Direct popular vote|
|Term length||Five years|
|Constituting instrument||Constitution of South Korea|
|Inaugural holder||Syngman Rhee|
|Website||(in English) english.president.go.kr|
(in Korean) president.go.kr
The President of the Republic of Korea (Hangul: 대한민국 대통령; Hanja: 大韓民國 大統領; RR: Daehan Minguk Daetongryeong) is the head of state, leader of the executive of the South Korean government and the commander in chief of the South Korean Armed Forces
If the National Assembly votes against a presidential decision, it will be declared void immediately.
Powers and duties of the president
The president is required to:
- uphold the Constitution
- preserve the safety and homeland of South Korea
- work for the peaceful reunification of Korea, typically act as the Chairperson of the National Unification Advisory Council
List of presidents
Living former presidents
As of September 2021, four former presidents are alive:
|Image||Name||Term of office||Age|
|Chun Doo-hwan||1980–1988||90 years, 233 days|
|Roh Tae-woo||1988–1993||88 years, 278 days|
|Lee Myung-bak||2008–2013||79 years, 263 days|
|Park Geun-hye||2013–2017||69 years, 218 days|
The longest-lived President was Yun Bo-seon, who died on July 18, 1990 (at the age of 92 years, 326 days).
The most recent President to die was Kim Young-sam, who died on November 22, 2015 (at the age of 87 years, 337 days).
- Article 70 of the Constitution of the Republic of Korea.
- McCurry, Justin (2017-05-09). "Who is Moon Jae-in, South Korea's new president?" (in en-GB). The Guardian. . https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/09/moon-jae-in-the-south-korean-pragmatist-who-would-be-presidentc. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Sang-hun, Choe (2017-05-09). "South Korea Elects Moon Jae-in, Who Backs Talks With North, as President". The New York Times. . https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/world/asia/south-korea-election-president-moon-jae-in.html. Retrieved 2017-05-10.