kidzsearch.com > wiki
Jay at the premiere of Redbelt in April 2008
Richard Jay Potash|
June 26, 1946
Brooklyn, New York, New York, U.S.
November 24, 2018 (aged 72)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Other names||Richard Jay Potash|
|Occupation||Magician, actor, author|
|Known for||Sleight of hand, card tricks, history of magic|
In a profile for the New Yorker, Mark Singer called Jay "perhaps the most gifted sleight of hand artist alive." In addition to sleight of hand, Jay was known for his card tricks, card throwing, memory feats, and stage patter. He had also written extensively on magic and its history. His acting credits included The Prestige, The Spanish Prisoner, Mystery Men, Heist, Boogie Nights, Tomorrow Never Dies, House of Games, Magnolia, and Deadwood. In 2015, Jay was the subject of an episode of PBS' American Masters, making him the first magician to have ever been profiled in that series.
Jay was married to Chrisann Verges.
- Ancestry.ca. "Richard Potash in Births, New York, New York, from 1910 to 1965". https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=OPc20078&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=vsnybirths&gsfn=richard&gsln=potash&cp=0&new=1&rank=1&redir=false&uidh=iei&gss=angs-d&pcat=34&fh=1&h=5377270&recoff=&ml_rpos=2.
- Singer, Mark (April 5, 1993). "Secrets of the Magus". New Yorker 69 (7): 54. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1993/04/05/secrets-of-the-magus.
- "Ricky Jay: Deceptive Practice | About the Film | American Masters | PBS" (in en-US). American Masters. 2014-12-03. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/ricky-jay-about-deceptive-practice/3577/.
- Magician With A Lot Up His Sleeve | Article from The Washington Post | HighBeam Research
- Saperstein, Pat (2018-11-25). "Ricky Jay, Master Magician and Actor in ‘Deadwood,’ ‘Boogie Nights,’ Dies at 72" (in en-US). Variety. https://variety.com/2018/film/obituaries-people-news/ricky-jay-dead-dies-magician-boogie-nights-1203035879/.