kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive|
|Genre(s)||Game engine, Massive multiplayer online|
Roblox is a massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) virtual playground and workshop designed for children aged six and over which was founded in 2004. Players can build games with virtual plastic building blocks. Roblox users can use Lua 5.1; to help build the places they create they use a simple version of Lua 5.1. Roblox is part of the TRUSTe privacy program, and the Better Business Bureau.
ROBLOX lets users create their own games from scratch using their game creation program called ROBLOX Studio. ROBLOX released a new version of ROBLOX Studio called Studio 2013. The newest version makes both building and scripting easier but sometimes runs slower on older PCs. ROBLOX Players (also called Robloxians) can build anything they please using Studio and then upload their game to ROBLOX website for everyone to play. If the Robloxian knows how to 'script', they can add in their own code to change the game and make it perform in many different ways. More popular games contain a lot of scripts.
Robloxians can buy virtual items from the Catalogue using virtual currency. This currency is obtained by logging in daily. There are two types of currency: Tickets (also called Tx or Tix) and ROBUX (also called R$). ROBUX is a premium currency and can only be obtained by purchasing Builders Club (a membership), buying a ROBUX card from a local shop (such as GAME, Sainsbury's or Toys 'R' Us in the UK; and CVS, Target and Best Buy in the US) or using a credit card or PayPal on the ROBLOX website. ROBUX is more commonly used when buying items such as Gear (tools to use in-game such as swords and musical instruments) and Hats. The Character page allows the Robloxian to change his/her clothing and customise their character as they please. All items bought from the catalogue appear here.
Builders Club is ROBLOX's premium service. Builders Club (BC) gives its members more features and privileges. There are three types of BC: Classic, Turbo, and Outrageous. Classic is the original BC and Outrageous is the newest. Other upgrades include buying ROBUX.
The ROBLOX Wiki is where new players can learn to play, build and script. There's many tutorials and references that people will find extremely helpful. Here's a list of recommended links:
The links above should assist all new users and their parents.
- "Roblox Game Review - MMO Hut". MMOHut. http://mmohut.com/browser-games/roblox. Retrieved 13 November 2009.
- "Webscape on games site Roblox and Please Rob Me". http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8589033.stm. Retrieved 18-12-2010.
- "Roblox as an educational program language". Kids Like. http://kidslike.info/roblox_using_roblox_as_an_educational_programming_language. Retrieved 24 January 2009.
- "Roblox at TRUSTe". TRUSTe. http://www.truste.com/trusted_sites/index.html#R. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "BBB Review of ROBLOX in Redwood City, California". Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/internet-gaming/roblox-corporation-in-redwood-city-ca-316031. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- "Better Business Bureau Accredited". Roblox Corporation. http://blog.roblox.com/?p=1885. Retrieved 8 December 2009.