kidzsearch.com > wiki
Federer has spent 310 weeks at the top spot in the world ranking, the second-most behind Novak Djokovic. He holds the record for most weeks at the top spot in a row, with 237 weeks. Many experts believe that Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time. He has won 20 Grand Slam singles titles: six at the Australian Open (2004, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2017 and 2018), one at the French Open (2009), eight at Wimbledon (2003 to 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2017) and five at the U.S. Open (2004 to 2008). In 2007, he equalled the record for the most titles in a row (five) at Wimbledon set by Björn Borg. He won a gold medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics and a silver medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
He was named the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year for a record four years in a row (2005–2008), and again in 2018.
Federer's first language is Swiss-German and he speaks English, German and French very well. He also speaks some Swedish and Italian. His wife is former tennis player Mirka Vavrinec. After Wimbledon 2009, he became a father of twin girls who were named Charlene Riva and Myla Rose. In May 2014 he became a father again, to twin boys named Leo and Lenny.
Grand Slam record
|Year||Australian Open||French Open||Wimbledon||US Open|
|1999||Lost qualifier||Round 1||Round 1||Lost qualifier|
|2000||Round 3||Round 4||Round 1||Round 3|
|2001||Round 3||Quarter-final||Quarter-final||Round 3|
|2002||Round 4||Round 1||Round 1||Round 4|
|2003||Round 4||Round 1||Winner||Round 4|
|2013||Semi-final||Quarter-final||Round 2||Round 4|
- Associated Press (19 March 2012). "Federer named greatest player ever by Tennis Channel, edging Laver and Graf". The Washington Post. http://www.tennischannel.com/goat/71.aspx. Retrieved 24 March 2012.
- "Roger Federer is greatest player of all time says Australian tennis legend Rod Laver". Fox Sports. Retrieved 20 July 2012
- Richard Evans (24 June 2007). "Jack the Lad". The Observer (UK). http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,,2110101,00.html. Retrieved 15 February 2009. "Jack Kramer 'is ready to anoint Roger Federer as the best he has seen'.".
- Federer the greatest ever — Lloyd. BBC Sport. 7 June 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8088191.stm. Retrieved 7 June 2009.
- Jago, Richard (5 June 2009). 'Roger Federer is the greatest' says Pete Sampras after record broken. London. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/05/pete-sampras-roger-federer-wimbledon. Retrieved 9 November 2010.
- Barnes, Simon (8 June 2009). "Roger Federer, greatest of all time, ensures statistics back up unrivalled artistry". The Times (UK). http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/simon_barnes/article6451942.ece. Retrieved 9 June 2009.
- "Top 10 Men's Tennis Players of All Time". Sports Illustrated. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1009/top.ten.tennis/content.1.html. Retrieved 23 September 2010.
- Federer the best of all time, says Agassi. The Age. Retrieved 20 July 2012
- Federer the best of all time, says Ivan Lendl[dead link]. BBC. Retrieved 20 July 2012
- Federer greatest of all time, says Laver". tennis.com/au. Retrieved 20 July 2012
- "Borg: Federer a True Artist". NOS. 9 July 2012. http://nos.nl/video/393278-borg-federer-een-ware-kunstenaar.html. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "An interview with: Lleyton Hewitt". USTA. 31 August 2012. http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2012-08-31/201208311346456183593.html. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- Winners Archive Roger Federer. Laureus World Sports Awards. http://www.laureus.com/winners?id=418. Retrieved 10 July 2009.
- "Roger Federer and wife are proud parents of twins". OneIndia. 24 July 2009. http://news.oneindia.in/2009/07/24/roger-federer-and-wife-are-proud-parents-of-twins.html. Retrieved 3 October 2009.
- Reuters (7 May 2014). "Roger Federer and wife welcome ‘miracle’ second set of twins". https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10812543/Roger-Federer-and-wife-welcome-miracle-second-set-of-twins.html.