kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Associate Judge of the New York Court of Appeals|
May 6, 2013 – April 12, 2017
|Appointed by||Andrew Cuomo|
|Preceded by||Theodore Jones|
March 14, 1952
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Died||April 12, 2017 (aged 65)|
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Barnard College|
Sheila Abdus-Salaam (Sheila Turner; March 14, 1952 – April 12, 2017) was an American judge. She served as a judge on the New York Court of Appeals. She was the first black woman and Muslim to be appointed to a seat on New York's highest court, and the first Muslim woman to serve on the bench in the United States.
Abdus-Salaam was found dead on April 12, 2017 at the age of 65. Her body was found floating in the Manhattan side of the Hudson River hours after she was reported missing from her home in Harlem.
- Adams Otis, Ginger; Annese, John; Slattery, Denis (April 12, 2017). "Appeals court judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam found dead on Hudson River shore". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/appeals-court-judge-found-dead-hudson-river-article-1.3049391. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- "Senator Parker Commends the Nomination of Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam: Congratulates the Governor on Selecting the First African American Woman Justice for New York's High Court". Press release. April 11, 2013. https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/kevin-s-parker/senator-parker-commends-nomination-judge-sheila-abdus-salaam. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Moore, Tina; Celona, Larry; Cohen, Shawn; Perez, Chris (April 12, 2017). "Judge Washes up Dead Along the Hudson River". New York Post. https://nypost.com/2017/04/12/judge-washes-up-dead-along-the-hudson-river/. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- "Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam likely committed suicide, police say". http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/judge-sheila-abdus-salaam-committed-suicide-police-article-1.3051425. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Hon. Sheila Abdus-Salaam at NY Court System