kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
South Australia is in the southern central part of the country. It is one of the driest parts of the continent. South Australia gets very little rain.
Emblems of South Australia
- The floral emblem of South Australia is Sturt's Desert Pea, Swainsona formosa. It was made the emblem on November 23, 1961.
- The faunal emblem is the Hairy-Nosed or Plains Wombat (Lasiorhinus latifrons). It was chosen on 27 August 1970.
- The marine emblem is the Leafy Seadragon (Phycodurus eques). It as chosen on 8 February 2001.
- The gemstone emblem of South Australia is the opal. This was chosen on the 15 August 1985.
- The official badge of South Australia is the Piping Shrike or White Backed Magpie (Gymnorhina tibicen leuconota). It was chosen on 14 January 1904.
South Australia was a freely-settled, planned British province. Settlement began on December 28, 1836. This was when the state was proclaimed at The Old Gum Tree by Governor Hindmarsh. The aim was to create the province as a center of civilization for free immigrants, promising civil liberties and religious tolerance.
The highest temperature recorded was 50.7°C at Oodnadatta on 2 January 1960. The coldest temperature recorded was -8.2°C at Yongala on 20 July 1976. The highest rainfall recorded was 272.6 mm at Motpena on 14 March 1989.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "South Australia". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=4&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- "Floral Emblem of South Australia". Australian National Botanic Gardens. http://www.anbg.gov.au/emblems/sa.emblem.html. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "The Faunal Emblem of South Australia". premcab.sa.gov.au. 2012. http://www.premcab.sa.gov.au/emblems/wombat1.htm. Retrieved 17 June 2012. "27 August 1970"
- "The Marine Emblem of South Australia - Leafy Seadragon". premcab.sa.gov.au. 2012. http://www.premcab.sa.gov.au/emblems/dragon1.htm. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "South Australia's Gemstone". premcab.sa.gov.au. 2012. http://www.premcab.sa.gov.au/emblems/opals1.htm. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Rainfall and Temperature Extremes". bom.gov.au. 31 May 2011. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/extreme/records.shtml. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
|States and territories of Australia|
|New South Wales • Queensland • South Australia • Tasmania • Victoria • Western Australia|
|Mainland: Australian Capital Territory • Jervis Bay Territory • Northern Territory|
|Overseas: Ashmore and Cartier Islands • Australian Antarctic Territory • Norfolk Island • Christmas Island • Cocos (Keeling) Islands • Coral Sea Islands • Heard and McDonald Islands|