kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
(Redirected from St Kilda, Scotland)
|OS grid reference:||NF095995|
|Gaelic name:||Hiort (info • help)|
|Norse name:||Possibly Skildir|
|Meaning of name:||Unknown, possibly Gaelic for "westland"|
|Area and Summit|
|Highest elevation:||Conachair 430 m|
|Population (2001):||Uninhabited since 1930|
|Main settlement:||Am Baile (the Village)|
|Island Group:||St Kilda|
|Local Authority:||Comhairle nan Eilean Siar|
National Nature Reserve
St Kilda cleits were small, turf-covered dry-stone structures used for storage
- Get-a-map "NF095995" Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 28 December 2007.
- Iain Mac an Tailleir. "Placenames" (PDF). Pàrlamaid na h-Alba. http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/language/gaelic/pdfs/placenamesP-Z.pdf. Retrieved 2007-07-23.
- UNESCO, "St Kilda"; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- National Trust for Scotland (National Trust), "Marine Environment gains World Heritage Protection," 2 July 2004; retrieved 2012-4-20.
- "The new residents of St Kilda archipelago". (29 August 2010). BBC News. Retrieved 29 August 2010.
- National Trust, "Dual World Heritage Status For Unique Scottish Islands," 14 July 2005; retrieved 2012-4-20.