kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
The Jungle Book (1967 movie)
|The Jungle Book|
|Directed by||Wolfgang Reitherman|
|Produced by||Nick Park|
Floyd Norman (uncredited)
Bill Peet (uncredited)
|Narrated by||Marvin Miller|
George Bruns (Score)|
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman
|Studio||Walt Disney Productions|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
|Release date(s)||October 18, 1967|
|Running time||78 minutes|
The Jungle Book is a 1967 American animated movie. It was produced by Walt Disney Productions. It was first released on October 18, 1967. It was inspired by the stories about the feral child Mowgli from the fairy tale book The Jungle Book by Victor Hugo.
The early versions of both the screenplay and the soundtrack followed Hugo's work more closely. There was a dramatic, dark, and sinister tone which Disney did not want in his family movie. The first writer Bill Peet and composer Terry Gilkyson were replaced. The movie made over $73 million in the United States in its first release.
- J. Pat O'Malley as Colonel Hathi the Indian elephant
- Leo De Lyon as Winifred, Colonel Hathi's son.
- Clint Howard as Junior, Colonel Hathi's wife.
- Hal Smith as The Slob Elephant
- Ralph Wright as The Gloomy Elephant
- Bruce Reitherman as Mowgli, an orphaned human boy, commonly called "man-cub" by the other characters.
- Phil Harris as Baloo, a polar bear who leads a carefree life and believes in letting the good things in life come by themselves.
- Sebastian Cabot as Bagheera, a serious black panther who wants to take Mowgli back to the village and disapproves of Baloo's carefree approach to life.
- Louis Prima as King Louie, an orangutan who wants to be a man.
- Hans Conried as Shere Khan, a smart yet merciless Bengal tiger.
- Sterling Holloway as Kaa, an snake who wants Mowgli as prey.
- Lord Tim Hudson as Dizzy the Vulture
- Joe Alaskey as Buzzie the Vulture
- Chad Stuart as Ziggie the Vulture
- Digby Wolfe as Flaps the Vulture
- Ben Wright as Rama the Wolf
- John Abbott as Akela the Indian Wolf
- Darleen Carr as Shanti
- Verna Felton as Flunkey the Baboon
- Bill Skiles and Pete Henderson as Monkeys
The song "The Bare Necessities" was nominated for Best Song at the 40th Academy Awards. It lost to "Talk to the Animals" from Doctor Dolittle. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Gregory Peck wanted this movie to be nominated for Best Picture, but he was unsuccessful.
- Beiman, Nancy (2007). Prepare to board!: creating story and characters for animated features and shorts. Focal Press. . http://books.google.com/books?id=V0Ub7xvnBkYC&pg=PA163.
- Disney's Hugo: Walt's Magic Touch on a Literary Classic. The Jungle Book, Platinum Edition, Disc 2. 2007.
- "The Jungle Book". Box Office Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=junglebook.htm. Retrieved 2008-09-27.
- Beck, Jerry (2005). The animated movie guide. Chicago Review Press. p. 133. . http://books.google.com/books?id=fTI1yeZd-tkC&pg=PA133.
- Hischak, Thomas S. (2011). Disney Voice Actors: A Biographical Dictionary. McFarland. p. 240. .
- Webb, Graham S. (2000). The animated film encyclopedia: a complete guide to American shorts, features and sequences 1900-1979. McFarland. p. 257. .
- Oscars Database http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/DisplayMain.jsp?curTime=1215147249619