kidzsearch.com > wiki
Benn was born in Marylebone, London, England. He was married to Caroline DeCamp (1926–2000) from 1949 until her death. Their four children are: Stephen, Hilary, Melissa and Joshua. He had been a vegetarian since 1970. He was also an agnostic.
Benn inherited the title of Viscount Stansgate from his father, William Wedgwood Benn, in 1960. He became the first peer to renounce his title. This made him able to become a Member of Parliament (MP) in 1963. He was a Cabinet Minister under Harold Wilson and James Callaghan. From 2001 to his death, he was President of the Stop the War Coalition.
Benn died after an illness on 14 March 2014 in London. He was 88 years old. He was outlived by his children.
- "Caroline Benn dies". BBC. 23 November 2000. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/1036726.stm. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- Farndale, Nigel (12 August 2009). Tony Benn: making mistakes is part of life. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/6004384/Tony-Benn-making-mistakes-is-part-of-life.html. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- Benn, Tony (2007). More Time for Politics: Diaries 2001–2007. London: Hutchinson. p. 223. https://archive.org/details/moretimeforpolit0000benn. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Tony Benn Biography". Biography Online. http://www.biographyonline.net/politicians/uk/tony-benn.html. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Labour stalwart Tony Benn dies at 88". BBC. 14 March 2014. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26573929. Retrieved 14 March 2014.