kidzsearch.com > wiki
2010 United States Census
of the United States
U.S. Census Bureau Seal
|Date Taken||April 1, 2010|
|Total U.S. Population||308,745,538|
|Most Populous State||California|
|Least Populous State||Wyoming|
The Twenty-Third United States Census, known as Census 2010 or 2010 Census was a count of the population of the United States. It was done by the Census Bureau. It found that the population of the United States on April 1, 2010 was 308,745,538. This was an increase of 9.7 percent over the 281,421,906 people counted during the 2000 Census. This was the twenty-third federal census.
The 2010 census cost $13 billion. It cost about $42 per capita. To compare, the 2010 census per-capita cost for China was about US$1; for India, the cost was US$0.40. Operational costs were $5.4 billion, under the $7 billion budget. In December 2010 the Government Accountability Office (GAO) noted that the cost of doing the census has doubled each decade since 1970. In a detailed 2004 report to Congress, the GAO asked the Census Bureau to fix cost and design problems. They estimated the 2010 Census cost to be $11 billion.
- $650 million was saved in the budget for the door-to-door questioning (NRFU) phase because 72% of households returned mailed questionnaires;
- $150 million was saved because of lower-than-planned costs in areas including Alaska and tribal lands; and
- the $800 million emergency fund was not needed.
- "Census 2010 News | U.S. Census Bureau Announces 2010 Census Population Counts -- Apportionment Counts Delivered to President". 2010.census.gov. 2011 [last update]. http://2010.census.gov/news/releases/operations/cb10-cn93.html. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". 2010 Census. U.S. Census Bureau. May 10, 2010. http://2010.census.gov/partners/pdf/2010_TQA_Agent_FAQs_english.pdf. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- "Censuses: Costing the count". The Economist. June 2, 2011. Archived from the original on June 10, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110610033208/http://www.economist.com/node/18772674?story_id=18772674. Retrieved June 17, 2011.
- Census Bureau comes in under budget for 2010 operational costs. CNN. August 10, 2010. http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/10/census.under.budget/. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- "2010 Census: Cost and Design Issues Need to Be Addressed Soon (GAO-04-37)" (PDF). Washington, D.C.: U.S. General Accounting Office. January 15, 2004. . Archived from the original on January 7, 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100107165327/http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-04-37. Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- 2010 Census
- 2010 United States Census Form
- U.S. Census Bureau
- The 2010 Census: Winners and Losers – slideshow by Life magazine
- How to deep link into US Census Bureau FactFinder2, see FactFinder2 info
- Census: As Red States Grow, So Do Hispanic Populations Within – video report by Democracy Now!