kidzsearch.com > wiki
University of Chicago
|The University of Chicago|
Julius Rosenwald Hall
|Latin: Universitas Chicaginiensis|
|Motto||Crescat scientia; vita excolatur (Latin)|
|Motto in English||Let knowledge grow from more to more; and so be human life enriched|
|Endowment||$7.928 billion (2018)|
|President||Robert J. Zimmer|
|Admin. staff||15,949 (including employees of the University of Chicago Medical Center)|
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
217 acres (87.8 ha) (Main Campus) Coordinates:
42 acres (17.0 ha) (Warren Woods Ecological Field Station, Warren Woods State Park)
30 acres (12.1 ha) (Yerkes Observatory)
|Colors||Maroon and White|
|Mascot||Phil the Phoenix|
|University of Chicago wordmark.svg|
The University of Chicago is a university in Hyde Park, Chicago, Illinois. It started when the American Baptist Education Society used money from John D. Rockefeller to build it. The university began in 1890. William Rainey Harper was the university's first president in 1891. The first classes were held in 1892.
Many people think it is one of the best universities in the world. Its students get a strong liberal arts education. The university also does important research work. Some of this research work is for the United States government.
The university is known for providing good education in economics (the study of the economy), linguistics (the study of language), social science (the study of society), and mathematics (the study of numbers). Physicists at the University of Chicago built the world's first man-made, self-sustaining nuclear reaction. The University spends $472 million on sponsored research each year.
Types of schools
The university has six graduate professional schools:
- Divinity School
- Chicago Booth School of Business
- Law School
- Pritzker School of Medicine
- Harris School of Public Policy Studies
- School of Social Service Administration.
- "About the University". The University of Chicago. 2019. https://www.uchicago.edu/about/. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- As of June 30, 2018. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 Endowment Market Value and Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2017 to FY 2018". National Association of College and University Business Officers and Commonfund Institute. 2018. https://www.nacubo.org/-/media/Nacubo/Documents/research/2018-Endowment-Market-Values--Final.pdf.
- "Faculty and Staff, at a glance". University of Chicago Data. University of Chicago. https://data.uchicago.edu/at_a_glance.php?cid=16&pid=2&sel=atg. Retrieved March 13, 2019.
- "About the University". The University of Chicago. https://www.uchicago.edu/about/.
- "University of Chicago opens groundbreaking sustainable field station". https://news.uchicago.edu/article/2014/08/01/university-chicago-opens-groundbreaking-sustainable-field-station.
- The University of Chicago Identity Guidelines. https://news.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/_uchicago.identity.guidelines.pdf. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- Angelo, Joseph A. (November 30, 2004). Nuclear Technology. Greenwood Press. p. 1. . . https://books.google.com/?id=ITfaP-xY3LsC&lpg=PA1&dq=uchicago%20nuclear%20reaction%20first%20-site%3Awikipedia.org&pg=PP1.
- "University of Chicago Nobel Laureates, University of Chicago Nobel Laureates". http://www-news.uchicago.edu/resources/nobel/. Retrieved October 13, 2011.