kidzsearch.com > wiki
Ursula von der Leyen
Von der Leyen is the only minister to have been in Angela Merkel's cabinet since she took office in 2005, first as Minister of Family Affairs and Youth from 2005 to 2009, then as Minister of Labour and Social Affairs from 2009 to 2013, before becoming Minister of Defence in 2013.
German politician Ernst Albrecht was her father.
On 2 July 2019, von der Leyen was nominated by the European Council to the position of President of the European Commission. With a close majority, she was elected by the European Parliament on 16 July, making her the first woman to hold the office.
- Arne Delfs (22 January 2014), "Merkel Succession Beckons After Von der Leyen’s Defence Posting", Businessweek.
- (in en-GB) First woman nominated to lead EU Commission. 2019-07-02. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48847200. Retrieved 2019-07-02.
- "EU leaders pick Germany’s von der Leyen to lead Commission". 2019-07-02. https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-european-leaders-pick-germany-defense-minister-ursula-von-der-leyen-to-lead-commission-charles-michel-council/.
- Barigazzi, Jacopo; Herszenhorn, David M.; Bayer, Lili (2 July 2019). "EU leaders pick Germany’s von der Leyen to lead Commission". POLITICO europe. https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-european-leaders-pick-germany-defense-minister-ursula-von-der-leyen-to-lead-commission-charles-michel-council/. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Official Site of Ursula von der Leyen (in German)