kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Varanasi Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Mridula Jaiswal (BJP)|
|• Divisional Commissioner||Deepak Agarwal, IAS|
|• District Magistrate||Kaushal Raj Sharma, IAS|
|• Inspector General, Varanasi Range||Vijay Singh Meena, IPS|
|• Senior Superintendent of Police||Prabhakar Chaudhary, IPS|
|• Metropolis||112.10 km2 (43.28 sq mi)|
|Elevation||80.71 m (264.80 ft)|
|• Density||10,720.9/km2 (27,767.1/sq mi)|
|• Metro||1,432,280 (32nd)|
|• Additional official||Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
221 001 to** (** area code)
|Vehicle registration||UP 65|
|GDP||$3.07 billion (2016–17)|
|Per capita income||INR 1,93 616|
|Sex ratio||0.926 (2011) ♂/♀|
Varanasi (Sanskrit: वाराणसी Vārāṇasī,Telugu: వారణాసి, [ʋaːɾaːɳəsiː), also commonly known as Banaras and Kashi, is a city situated on the banks of the river Ganga (Ganges) in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh regarded holy by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains, and is one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the world along with Damascus.
Rani Lakshmibai, the Rani of Jhansi from 1842 to 6/18/1858, an Indian queen and charismatic female strategist, was born here, named Manikarnika. On 10 May 1857, she led the Hindu revolt, also known as India's First War of Independence, against the British navy. She died on 6/17/1858 or 6/18/1858 at age 29.
- Singh, Rana P. B. Varanasi as Heritage City (India) on the scale the UNESCO World Heritage List: From Contestation to Conservation. Swedish South Asian Studies Network.
- District Varanasi Official Website - Official website of Varanasi District and City
- Why Did Aurangeb Demolish Kashi Vishawnath ?
- "Varanasi: About the city". Official website of Uttar Pradesh Tourism. Archived from the original on 8 July 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130708043803/http://www.up-tourism.com/destination/varanasi/about.htm.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131017153124/http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/paper2/data_files/India2/Table_3_PR_UA_Citiees_1Lakh_and_Above.pdf.
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA". Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original on 25 May 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170525141614/http://nclm.nic.in/shared/linkimages/NCLM52ndReport.pdf. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "Yogi Adityanath is right. Route to UP's $1 trillion GDP goal passes through hinterland". https://www-moneycontrol-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/economy/opinion-yogi-adityanath-is-right-route-to-ups-1-trillion-gdp-goal-passes-through-hinterland-4472441.html. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Executive Summary". http://spa.ac.in/writereaddata/EXECUTIVE-SUMMARY-VARANASI.pdf. Retrieved 29 December 2019.
- "Varanasi City Census 2011 data". census2011.co.in. Archived from the original on 17 May 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140517072130/http://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/153-varanasi.html.