kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
World Bicycle Day
In April 2018, the United Nations General Assembly declared June 3 as International World Bicycle Day. The resolution for World Bicycle Day recognizes "the uniqueness, longevity and versatility of the Bicycle, which has been in use for two centuries, and that it is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transportation."
Professor Leszek Sibilski from the United States led a grassroots campaign with his Sociology class to promote a UN Resolution for World Bicycle Day, eventually gaining the support of Turkmenistan and 56 other countries. The original UN Blue and White World Bicycle Day logo was designed by Isaac Feld and the accompanying animation was done by Professor John E. Swanson. It depicts bicyclists of various types riding around the globe. At the bottom of the logo is the hashtag #June3WorldBicycleDay. The main message is that the bicycle belongs to and serves all of humanity.
World Bicycle Day is a global holiday meant to be enjoyed by all people regardless of race, ethnicity, creed, class, sex, gender, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic. The bicycle as a symbol of human progress and advancement "[promotes] tolerance, mutual understanding and respect and [facilitates] social inclusion and a culture of peace."
- "World Bicycle Day, 3 June" (in EN). http://www.un.org/en/events/bicycleday/.
- A.Res.72.272 World Bicycle Day, United Nations Resolution
- Senarath, Yohan (2018-05-01). "World Bicycle Day: Meet the man who made it happen" (in en). Transport for Development. https://blogs.worldbank.org/transport/world-bicycle-day-meet-man-who-made-it-happen?CID=TAI_TT_Transport_EN_EXT. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- Staff. "MC Professor and Students Win UN Support for World Bicycle Day". http://mcblogs.montgomerycollege.edu/atmc/mc-professor-and-students-win-un-support-for-world-bicycle-day/.
- "MC Today - World Bicycle Day". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a8v6Jt9Beg.
- "Mateusz Rudyk". https://www.facebook.com/552375365204522/posts/667251483716909?sfns=mo.