kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||0s 10s 20s – 30s – 40s 50s 60s|
|Years:||36 37 38 – 39 – 40 41 42|
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Roman' not found. 39 is a year in the 1st century. It was a common year starting on Thursday of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Augustus and Corbulo.
- Tigellinus, minister and favorite of the later Roman emperor Nero, is banished for adultery with Caligula's sisters.
- Domitius Afer becomes a consul.
- Caligula is also a consul.
- Agrippa I, king of Iudaea, is called back to Rome.
- Legio XV Primigenia and XXII Primigenia are levied by Caligula for the German frontier.
- Caligula's campaign into Germany was stopped by a conspiracy led by Cassius Chaerea.
- Caligula orders that a statue of himself be placed in the temple in Jerusalem. Jews protest. They are able to stop construction of the statue until the death of Caligula (January 24, 41).
- Philo leads a Jewish delegation to Rome to protest the anti-Jewish conditions in Alexandria.
- November 3 – Lucan, Roman poet
- December 30 – Titus Flavius, Roman emperor (79–81)
- Julia Drusilla, daughter of current Roman Emperor Caligula
- Britannicus, son of later Roman emperor Claudius and his third wife Messalina