kidzsearch.com > wiki
List of Roman emperors
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
(Redirected from Roman Emperor)
- Tiberius, Octavian's son-in-law.
- Caligula, Tiberius's grandson, murdered by his bodyguards for many crimes.
- Claudius, Caligula's uncle. Claudius conquered Britain, making it part of the Roman Empire.
- Nero, Claudius's grand-nephew. Accused Christians of burning down Rome but when it was proven he was the culprit, committed suicide.
- Galba, military leader under Claudius.
- Otho, friend of Nero.
- Vitellius, military leader under Galba. Vitellius banned astrologers from Rome.
- Vespasian, military leader under Claudius. Vespasian began the building of the Colosseum.
- Titus, Vespasian's son. Titus finished building the Colosseum.
- Domitian, Titus's younger brother. Domitian conquered southern Scotland, making it (temporarily) part of the Roman Empire.
- Nerva, friend of Nero, who had saved Nero's life.
- Trajan. Under Trajan, the Roman Empire was at its largest size ever.
- Hadrian - Hadrian built Hadrian's Wall in Britain, to prevent the Picts from invading Roman Britain. Hadrian died in 138 AD. From 138 AD until 284 AD, there were 32 more emperors.
- Antoninus Pius
- Lucius Verus
- Marcus Aurelius
- Maximinus I
- Gordian I
- Gordian II
- Gordian III
- Philip I
- Trajan Decius
- Trebonianus Gallus
- Claudius II Gothicus
- Marcus Claudius Tacitus
- Diocletian in 284 AD, last of the pagan emperors, committed suicide out of depression when all his ideals, plans crumbled, abdicated.
- Constantine in 306 AD. Moved capital to Byzantium, now Constantinople. Converted to Christianity.
- Valentinian dynasty
- Theodosian dynasty
- Theodosius I in 395 AD. He split the Roman Empire into two parts thus officially ending it. The western part lasted until 476 AD, when it became ruled by the Germanic people. The eastern part lasted until 1453, when it became part of the Ottoman/Turkish Empire.
Note there were also numerous usurpers ("fake" emperors) including: