kidzsearch.com > wikiChechnya Explore:web images videos games
Chechnya (officially called the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria; Chechen language: Нохчийн Республика, Noxçiyn Respublika; Russian: Чече́нская Респу́блика, Chechenskaya Respublika) is a federal subject in Russia. It is located in the Caucasus region. The capital is Grozny.
During Soviet control, Chechnya was unified with Ingushetia. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Chechnya broke away from Ingushetia to form its own republic. The Chechens wanted independence. After the First Chechen War, Chechnya was de facto independent as the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria. After the Second Chechen War, Russia regained control of Chechnya.
- "The George Washington University - Washington, D.C.". https://www.gwu.edu/.
- "Zur Sprachgeschichte des Kaukasus (On the language history of the Caucasus), page 23.". http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/kaukhist.pdf.
- "Slavic languages". Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Slavic-languages. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- "Chechnya". Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/place/Chechnya#toc283782. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- Official site of the Republic of Chechnya (in Russian)